Abby very deeply believes that our experiences of birth - as women, as birth partners, as babies - have an everlasting impact on who we are and who we are to become. Birth shapes our lives in more ways than one, and she believes that a positive birth experience is a positive impact on society at large.
Influenced by her many years of contact and improvisational dance, Abby's style as a doula draws on somatic intelligence, spacial awareness, and accessing intuition. Her awareness of space and sensitivity to her surroundings has served her not only in the dance studio, but also in the laboring woman's space. Prenatally she assists couples to prepare for labor by arming them with a comprehensive toolbox of labor comfort measures and techniques, in addition to providing a variety of resources and information on evidence-based practices. During labor she helps couples to draw on their strengths and to tap into their into their bodies and their innate physical intelligence. Abby shape shifts as needed to fill in any gaps, whether that be with information, resources, touch, gentle suggestions, reassurance, or simply being present.
Attending each birth with a beginners mind, Abby draws on a myriad of birth experiences, ranging from hospitals, birthing centers, and homes, to births that are natural, low-intervention, medicated, and high risk, to births that are planned, spontaneous, induced, or via C-section. She has attended births at many of the hospitals and birthing centers in the NYC area, and has worked seamlessly with a variety of care providers, as well as with the families and friends of birthing couples. As a mother of two, Abby has been through birth herself and provides labor support from a place of compassionate understanding and nonjudgmental respect for all fellow mothers, regardless of their birth preferences and choices.
Abby is a DONA-certified birth doula. She will soon complete her certificate in placenta encapsulation, and has been encapsulating placentas for quite some time. She works closely with a small group of esteemed doulas who regularly meet and support each other as back ups, as well as to share resources and learn from one other. Some of her additional birth work training includes the use of the rebozo in labor, legal rights in childbirth, Hypnobirthing, and postpartum mood disorder screening. A certified Holistic Health Coach, she graduated from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and has studied Thai Yoga Bodywork. She holds a B.A. from Sarah Lawrence College, where she studied dance and early childhood education.
When she's not doula-ing, you can find Abby riding her bike around Brooklyn with her two boys buckled into the bike trailer, hanging out in Prospect Park, cooking super healthy but really delicious food, and maybe seeing dance or practicing yoga - two things she can't get enough of, or seem to find enough time for! She was born in and grew up in Massachusetts, minus some time abroad, and has been living in Brooklyn for the past 13 years.
Education and Trainings
2 0 1 5
- April - Is It Baby Blues or Something More?: Screening for Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders, with Sarah Best of the Seleni Institute
- April - What to Know About VBAC & Cesarean Birth, with Choices in Childbirth
- May - Hypnobirthing for Birth Professionals, with Chanti Smith
- June - Advanced Doula Training on Supporting High Risk Pregnancies, with Co-founders of Carriage House Birth
- September - Anticipated Placenta Arts Specialist Certification from APPA (Association of Placenta Preparation Arts)
- October - Anticipated Certified Breastfeeding Counselor Training and Certification with Lea Todarao, IBCLC
2 0 1 4
- January - Babywearing for Newborns at Wild Was Mama (formerly Caribou Baby)
- March - OSHA Certificate in Bloodborne Pathogens for Doulas and Placenta Encapsulators
- April - Joined as a Birth Doula with Carriage House Birth
- June - Stand on Your Rights: Demystifying Legal Rights in Childbirth with Cristen Pascucci of Birth Monopoly
- July - Certification approved as a DONA International Birth Doula: CD(DONA)
- August - Began studying for APPA-C certification from the Association of Placenta Preparation Arts
- July - Doula Training at Birthday Presence from Debra Pascali-Bonaro
- August - I attended my first birth as a doula!
- September - Breastfeeding 101 Course at the Brooklyn Birthing Center
- September - Rebozo Training and Certificate from Gena Kirby
- May - Graduated from the Advanced Immersion Program at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition
- May - Graduated from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition and certified as an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
- May - Bachelor's Degree in Dance and Education from Sarah Lawrence College